My Dad's office recently held a 'Great British Bake Off' style competition, in which the employees all brought in a bake to be judged by each other, and of course I was called on (the night before, at 10pm) to create a bake for my dad to take in! And so, with a little inspiration from a quick google, my S'Mores cupcakes were born, out of my love for all things chocolate and marshmallow!
These are so easy to make, take under an hour, are perfect to make with kids, and taste absolutely divine. In fact, one person scored them a 10/10! And as with all my bakes, they could easily be turned gluten, dairy, and egg free, and I will make sure to include alternatives where necessary.
- 3 large eggs (or a replacement such as Organ No Egg, made up according to packet instructions)
- 160g self raising flour (or 180g of brown rice flour)
- 180g caster sugar
- 180g unsalted butter (or dairy free butter such as Vitalite)
- 20g cocoa powder
- Half a packet of digestive biscuits (or gluten free digestives)
- 50g extra butter
- Cupcake cases
- Third of a bar of dark chocolate
If making gluten free cakes you will also need:
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Melt the 50g of extra butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. While the butter is melting, crush the digestive biscuits into small crumbs in a medium sized bowl. When the butter has melted, pour it into the biscuit crumbs and combine together.
- Spoon approximately a teaspoon of biscuit-and-butter mixture into the cupcake cases, and press to completely cover the bottom. This will form the 'graham cracker' level.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter and the sugar using either a handheld electric mixer or ye olde wooden spoon, until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Combine the flour and cocoa powder (and baking powder and xathan gum if using) in a separate bowl.
- Sieve in a third of the flour mixture into the main mixing bowl, and crack in an egg. Mix together well, and repeat two more times until all the eggs and all the flour have been thoroughly combined with the butter and sugar.
- Fill up the cake cases about 2/3 with the chocolate cake mixture, and place into the oven for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the cakes from the oven and top each cake with a marshmallow, and place back in the oven for around ten minutes, or until done.
- When the cakes have completely cooled, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the top of the cakes. Top with some extra biscuitty crumbs, and present!