My favourite time of year is when the Great British Bake Off returns to our screens. There is nothing quite like watching a bunch of people stressing over flour and sugar. I absolutely bloody love it. And in homage to that glorious programme and our overlords, Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, I decided to introduce a new series to Babbles With Beth in which I post a recipe every Wednesday in the same theme as the Bake Off that evening, but ensuring every recipe is gluten and dairy free! Yes, it's mainly so that I can stuff my face whilst watching GBBO. On to the recipe!
You Will Need:
- 370g rice flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 140g dairy free butter such as Vitalite
- 140g sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (Or use an egg subsitute such as Organ No Egg)
- 200g carrots, grated
For the icing
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Mix in the egg and carrot and stir well until all the wet ingredients are combined.
- Tip in the rice flour, spices, xathan gum, and baking powder, and stir to combine all the ingredients into a dough
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Using your hands, take a small handful of dough and roll around to form a ball. Place the dough ball onto the baking tray and flatten to form a cookie shape. Repeat until all the dough is used up (about 14 cookies).
- Place the baking tray into the oven and bake for 20 minutes
- When the cookies are golden and firm, move to a wire rack and allow to cool
- Combine the icing sugar and orange juice to a drizzle consistency
- Place parchment paper underneath the wire rack and drizzle over the icing. Allow to set, and you're finished!
Do you watch the Great British Bake Off? What's your favourite week?