Monday, 9 February 2015

Favourite Four #2


I just realised today I haven't posted a blog post in like...a week or something. Mainly because Pretty Little Liars has actually taken over my life and I've done basically nothing but binge watch for the past five or so days. Life is actually great sometimes.

Binge watching aside, I decided to post another of my four all time favourite books, because I love reading and I love babbling on about what I read, even if people aren't all that interested in it. Keeps me happy. So without further ado, onto the books!

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory: I'm pretty sure I've posted about Philippa Gregory before, but I am a long time die hard fan of this lady. She's my favourite historical fiction writer, and it helps that she writes around the time of the war of the Roses and the Tudor period, which is one of my favourite areas of history. The Constant Princess focuses on Katherine of Aragon from when she came over from Spain to marry Prince Arthur, all through her marriage to Henry VIII, and ending when she was brought in front of the court to fight for her marriage. I really, really love this book and highly recommend it if you too are a fan of historical fiction.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: Another historical fiction book, this time a lot more well known, as it was turned into a film and released last year I believe? I don't know, but I do know that this book is incredible. Narrated from the viewpoint of Death, which is the weirdest, uniquest, most amazing way of telling a story, it is set during Nazi Germnay in 1939, and focuses on the life of Liesel Meminger, a young girl with communist parents who was sent to live with foster parents. It describes her relationship with these parents, the friends she makes, including Rudy Steiner, and the young Jewish man her foster parents hide. This book is a truly incredible piece of fiction written by an amazing author, and I'm not ashamed to admit I sobbed at the ending. The film is also amazing, and you should just read it/watch it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: This definitely isn't a book for everyone, but I read it over the summer last year and utterly loved it. It was published in 1891 and is a philosophical Gothic novel, and the only novel Wilde ever published. I'd be really bad at summarising this book, so I'm just going to add in a summary from wikipedia (god bless wikipedia): 

Dorian Gray is the subject of a full-length portrait in oil by Basil Hallward, an artist who is impressed and infatuated by Dorian's beauty; he believes that Dorian’s beauty is responsible for the new mode in his art as a painter. Through Basil, Dorian meets Lord Henry Wotton, and he soon is enthralled by the aristocrat's hedonistic worldview: that beauty and sensual fulfilment are the only things worth pursuing in life.
Understanding that his beauty will fade, Dorian expresses the desire to sell his soul, to ensure that the picture, rather than he, will age and fade. The wish is granted, and Dorian pursues a libertine life of varied and amoral experiences; all the while his portrait ages and records every soul-corrupting sin.
Basically, I really loved this book and the questions it raised about identity and beauty and self worth and yes. Good book, interesting concept.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: Another classic, another book that probably isn't for everyone, but it's definitely my all time favourite book and has been since I picked up this now rather battered and bruised copy for a fiver when I was eleven. Fairly well known, Bronte published Jane Eyre in 1847 under the pen name Currer Bell. It's about the protagonist, Jane Eyre, and her life from when she is ten years old, following her through being sent to school, getting a job as a governess, and everything that comes after. Obviously, it's more interesting than my description makes it sound, but I'm scared of giving the plot away! I really love this book, and definitely identified with the plain Jane Eyre who loves reading when I was younger, and even now. I very much recommend this book as a fantastic read.

x



6 comments:

  1. I love Jane Eyre too - my mum gave it to me when I was younger and basically forced me to read it and I'm glad she did!
    Philippa Gregory is also brilliant, but I've not read this one - I will have to give it a try!
    Jessie | Ivory Tower Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Constant Princess is one of my favourite books by her! You should definitely give it a go :)

      Delete
  2. Just come across your blog

    It's lovely !!!!

    I am now following!!

    would be amazing if you would check out my friend blog Jadiee'sLittleBlog and maybe comment or folllow her back

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books here, love the book thief, such a beautiful story.

    Meme xx


    Latest Post out now
    '100 Questions With Meme//Tag'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the book thief a while ago and read 2 pages and got bored so didn't read anymore but you've convinced me to give it a go, hopefully I will like it!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://halesaaw.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should give it another go! It's an incredible story when you get into it

      Beth x

      Delete