Sunday, 25 January 2015

A goodbye and a change for the better

Credit: pinterest

More on the subject of change today! It seems to be the topic of choice for me at the moment, which I guess is fitting with the time of year and my aims for myself, which do including becoming a better version of the person I am now. As you may have guessed from the quote above, the change I have made today is to leave my job. I worked my last ever shift at my first ever job today, and it was a bittersweet goodbye. I've worked there for over a year now, and it's a small shop so the people I worked with are basically like family to me. There's something about a busy, stressful environment which just bonds people for life. Unfortunately, it's the busy, stressful environment which has contributed towards me needing to leave.

I, like many other college and university students, went to work part time and my education is full time. Unfortunately for me, I happened to be pretty good at my job in an understaffed shop, and this led to working practically full time hours before the summer during exams, and even more so during the summer. Understandably, this led to me becoming very stressed towards the end of the year. And although things were settling down again now, we lost our management and the whole place feels a bit like the titanic on the verge of sinking, and I have never gotten my old love for my job back.

I stuck at it because I needed money, and my parents told me I needed something to keep me occupied, but I was getting desperately unhappy, and concocting the 
bizarre-st of plans in my head in the hope of not having to go to work, and this got me thinking. Why was I still there?

I didn't want to be, nor do I really need to be. I'm lucky enough that I have parents who will give me a small allowance now I am jobless, although I appreciate many people do not have this back up option. I loved working in this place before, but now it was impacting on my college work and my mental health, and those are two things I decided had to come before money and my love of buying unnecessary items. And so, after weeks of decision making, I handed my notice in, and immediately I felt better, like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

And now my last shift is done and free weekends stretch out ahead of me like some blissful holiday, and I already feel tonnes better. It's incredible how such a difficult decision can have such a big impact on the way I feel. I'm sad I've left everyone, but I'm so excited to start this next chapter in my life.

So I guess this post is just to say that if you really aren't happy with something in your life, it is possible to change it. There is always a way to change what you don't like, even if it's not leaving your job, it's something different like cutting ties with a friend, or not driving because it terrifies you even if you feel like you have to.

My question to you is then: is there anything in your life you would like to change? If there is, consider changing it. I promise, 99%* of the time you will not regret it.

*not a real statistic

x

No comments:

Post a Comment